Thursday, June 30, 2011

And After That...

Terribly sorry for the hiatus (to anyone who noticed), but I gotta think the content in this one is worth it..it certainly was responsible for it, so here goes (it's a long winded one (with goodies at the end) so get ready)...


Song of the weekend? Easy. Even though I didn't exactly expect it to be on the playlist, After Party by the Lonely Island ft Santigold surprisingly ended up in rotation. Something about the combination of Andy Samberg rapping as a badass drug addict and Santigold deliciously delivering a hook about "Jerkin' off" kept me reaching for the play button a little more than I should have...but in the midst of a weekend filled with everything from #painting walls, to drinking games in front of #Hot Rod, to dubstep production, it only seemed appropriate.


Say what you will about the Lonely Island's legitimacy as a mainstream musical group, but Andy Samberg is incredibly clever (See: most of this song)...until he talks about his dick too much (See: the second verse of this song). Still, all things considered, this is a great song and it'll make an amazing digital short one day -- you heard it here first.


But no matter how light-hearted the track's intentions are, the song's comical tone soon seeped into my subconscious until I started getting into that mentality - and then? ..and then? ..and then? ..I didn't quite tear off my clothes and scream at the sky, but in my painting-fume induced haze I definitely got to thinking...what the hell am I doing with my life? The obvious answer: Working 9-5 ... and then? Well, working 9-5 again.. and then? Uhhh, probably doing that again? and then?...well, you get the point.


However, after a lengthy chat with my old man about desk-job life (in which we #made chicken bacon caesar wraps and I preached Office Space to him) he bestowed this advice upon me:


"No matter how [bad] things are now, in 2 years none of this is gonna matter"

Not saying that #my life is horrible right now by any means.. I'm just dedicating this post to anyone who's on their transition grind; anyone who's on their I-don't-wanna-be-here-but-I-could-really-see-myself-over-there grind, but mostly it goes out to anyone who's hoping that in 2 years from now, they'll be in a better place then they are now. Sorry for the existential/melancholic post, but there's a mixtape to go with the theme.. Enjoy.

PS have you liked my facebook page? You should like my facebook page.



1. After Party - The Lonely Island feat Santigold

2. Is This It? - The Strokes

3. Missed The Boat - Modest Mouse

4. Piece of Mind (demo) - The Dutch (exclusive)

5. A Good Day at the Races - Hollerado

6. Jackie Wants a Black Eye - Dr. Dog

7. Space Oddity - David Bowie

8. The Party & The After Party - The Weeknd


Download the "2 Years" minimixtape here

1 comment:

  1. a whole blog post without the word "swag"? you must be growinng up...
    excuse me while i click on all the ads over and over

    ReplyDelete